Bowen Therapy Treatment
Bowen Technique and Pilates
Pilates and the Bowen Technique are the perfect marriage. Bowen gently facilitates the balance and realignment of the skeletal structure by releasing tight muscles, whilst Pilates reinforces the Bowen work, holding these structures in place by targeting specific muscle groups. When applied by experienced practitioners, Bowen and Pilates creates a perfect combination for your body.
What is the Bowen Technique?
The Bowen Technique is a simple and yet powerful holistic therapy, which helps promote the natural healing capabilities of your body. It is used for treating a wide range of conditions, injuries and health issues. It is very gentle and relaxing, and no forceful manipulation is used. Bowen treats the whole person, not just the presenting symptoms.
The technique was developed in the 1950’s in Australia, by Tom Bowen and was first introduced into the UK in 1993.
How does it work?
Our bodies are capable of repairing and healing themselves, however, our systems can become overwhelmed and unbalanced through stress, injury, illness and disease, meaning that they function less efficiently. This results in symptoms such as pain, restricted movement and postural problems, or a weakened immune system. By adopting a holistic approach, Bowen acts as a catalyst to promote the body’s ability to restore an optimal health balance.
The technique consists of a series of gentle, relaxing and precise moves over specific muscles, tendons, fascia and nerves, which stimulates energy flow, removes blockages and empowers the body’s own healing resources. This relieves all kinds of injury, muscular, skeletal and nerve imbalances.
One of the most profound effects Bowen can have is on the autonomic nervous system, which controls over 80% of the bodily functions – releasing stress at a very deep level.
What does it involve?
The Bowen Technique is a couch-based therapy, however, it can also be performed seated. The best results are obtained by performing the moves direct on the skin, although it can also work effectively through light clothing.
Bowen works on the principle that “less is more” and each treatment will only include as many moves as your body needs to begin the process of repair.
Bowen sessions can vary between 15 minutes to approximately one hour. There is no fixed course or treatment plan as everybody’s needs are different but it is always recommended to have a 2nd session one week after the 1st to allow the initial response to be assessed. Most people will notice benefits after 3-4 sessions although chronic conditions can often take longer to respond. Progress will be discussed at all sessions so the way forward can be agreed.
How can it help me?
The gentle approach to Bowen means that it is may be suitable for all ages, from babies to the elderly, and from the fit and active to those less able.
It can be used as a remedial therapy for numerous ailments, including sports injuries, skeletal and muscular problems. It is also effective in reducing stress and proactively maintaining your wellbeing.
Below are just some of the conditions that The Bowen Technique may help with:
- Muscular and skeletal problems in neck, shoulder, hip, knees, ankle and back, including sciatica and fibromyalgia
- Frozen shoulder, tennis and golf elbow, R.S.I. and carpal tunnel
- Whiplash and sports injuries
- Problems with posture and body alignment
- Migraine, recurring headaches, dizziness
- Bell’s Palsy, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s Disease and the difficulties suffered by stroke victims
- Respiratory, bronchial and related conditions such as hayfever and asthma
- Digestive problems such as IBS
- Hormonal, pregnancy and fertility problems
- Baby and childhood problems (colic, birth trauma, bedwetting, poor concentration)
- Stress management, ME, fatigue and sleep problems.
- Bowen can be of assistance in many cases of emotional stress, where relaxation is a prime factor in easing pain and anxiety. It is also often a great help in improving the quality of life for those who are terminally ill.
- Because The Bowen Technique balances the whole person, there are many other conditions which can be addressed.
PLEASE NOTE: The Bowen Technique is a complimentary therapy and should not be used as an alternative to seeking medical advice.
Charge per treatment
A session can vary between 15 – 60 minutes.
Babies and Children
Newborns - 2 years old